Can sesame oil be used for cooking – some people got confused if yes. If you are also not sure about it’s answer of this question, you came to the right place. This post is for you.
Sesame oil is an incredibly popular edible seed oil all around the world. It has deep roots in history, originating in ancient civilizations and becoming a staple in the household for its medicinal purposes.
The sesame seed itself was also incredibly versatile, as it could pressed raw to make oil, ground up to use as a flour, or toasted to add to food.
In this aritcle, I ‘ll talk about in details whether sesame oil can be used for cooking.
Furthermore, you ‘ll get some other relevant information such as types of sesame oil, benefits of sesame oil for cooking.
Now let’s get started.
Can sesame oil be used for cooking?
Yes, you will be happy to know that sesame oil has taken place as one the best oil used for cooking because of its health benefit, taste and flavor.
Sesame oil is a great addition to all kinds of dishes, as it not only enhances the flavor, but prevents a rancid taste. It leaves the palate with a cleaner aftertaste, so that food can be enjoyed more thoroughly. It also pairs very well with a number of other flavors.
One popular use of sesame oil is to use the oil in a marinade for chicken, pork or beef, or as a dressing poured over the top of a dish. The following ingredients are some of the most delicious combinations with the oil.
- Rice wine vinegar
- Black vinegar
- Ginger, garlic, and scallions
- Peanut butter
- Soy sauce
- Orange or lemon juice
- Tamarind paste
Sesame oil is a great ingredient to use to expand your knowledge and tastes in Asian cuisine, though the oil is also popularly used in African or Middle-Eastern dishes as well. Some think that the oil originated in Africa thousands of years ago! The Ancient Egyptians also used the oil in their cooking.
Since the oil pairs well with all kinds of foods, it is very easy to cook with. It can be added to vegetables, meats, fish, tofu and even fruits like Asian pears. It is suitable for practically any kind of cuisine from anywhere in the world. Here are some ways it can be used to prepare dishes.
- Frying or lightly sautéing meat, fish, or vegetables. Light sesame oil can also be mixed with other oils like avocado or canola.
- Added to a marinade to tenderize and enhance the flavor of beef, pork or chicken.
- Mixed with soy sauce, vinegar lemon juice and other spices as a refreshing dressing to top anything from noodles to a fruit salad.
- Braise seafood for a smoother and cleaner taste.
- Sprinkled into a savory soup.
What are the types of Sesame oil?
There are two types of sesame oil that can be chosen from, and both are distinctive in their color and taste.
- Dark or Asian sesame oil is made by pressing toasted sesame seeds. It has a unique, pronounced nutty flavor and aroma, and adds a delicious light savoriness to any dish. It can be heated and used to fry or saute ingredients, or sprinkled on top of foods for additional garnish. It has a noticeably darker brown color than light sesame oil, though it is still somewhat transparent.
- Light sesame oil is made from raw sesame seeds, usually using the cold-press method. This keeps the integrity of the sesame seeds more intact. Light sesame oil has a higher smoke point (210 Celsius) making it a better choice for frying. Along with color, it has a lighter taste and aroma than dark sesame oil.
Can sesame oil be used for cooking: If yes, is it good?
Yes, sesame oil is good for cooking. Because it has got wonderful health benefits.
Other than being a delicious choice, the seed oil is also a healthy alternative to other kinds of fatty oils. Sesame oil is a healthy polyunsaturated fat, which is recommended to be eaten to lower cholesterol. Omega-6 and omeda-3 are examples of a polyunsaturated fatty acid. With only nine calories per gram, sesame oil can be added to dishes without worry.
It has many other health benefits other than fat content. Sesame oil is rich in vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K. It does not have any carbohydrates, rather it has both linoleic and oleic acids. These acids also lower unhealthy cholesterol and can replace saturated fat intake.
Sesame oil has the added benefits of being anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant as well. This means that it has a huge number of health benefits that are useful for anyone wanting to maintain a nutritious and healthy diet.
- By lowering total cholesterol in the blood, sesame oil helps to lower the risk of heart disease. It can also prevent buildup of plaque in the arteries, causing high blood pressure.
- The compounds in sesame oil are good at detoxifying skin and improving overall skin health. It also works on the inside of the body. The oil can target the joints and ease the pain of rheumatoid arthritis. Minerals in the oil like zinc and calcium aid the body in blood circulation and its anti-inflammatory properties target uncomfortable swelling.
- The anti-inflammatory nature of the oil can also aid in toothaches or mouth sores.
- Other compounds in sesame oil include lignans, sesaminol and sesamol, which can prevent the body from developing a chronic disease.
With all of these benefits, is it possible that sesame oil has any downsides? Of course, there are certain factors to look out for. Some people are allergic to the oil, although it is a very small number. An allergic reaction the oil can still cause severe side effects, such as skin rashes and anaphylaxis. In the case that the allergic person is pregnant, a reaction to sesame oil could cause pregnancy complications.
It is also important to remember that like everything else, sesame oil must be used in moderation. Eating too much sesame oil can cause weight gain, and even increase the risk for colon cancer. The oil is already pungent in taste and smell, so there is no need to add a large amount when cooking. In fact, it is better enjoyed in small quantities.
See more: Benefit of olive oil for cooking
What are the best sesame oil for cooking in India?
How To Use Sesame Oil In Cooking?
So, by going through the post, you got the answer if sesame oil can be used for cooking?
Sesame oil is really good for cooking. It has many benefits for cooking, from taste, to smell, to improving overall health. Your skin, heart, and hair can be protected by sesame oil’s nutritious compounds and anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. The delicious taste of both dark and light sesame oil can bring about a new happiness for cooking, and trying something new in the kitchen. It works well for so many dishes, that everyone can find a tasty way to use it in their cooking.